We are making a beautiful gateau opera tonight in our cookery class. this is an almond sponge called joconde which is layered with a coffee flavoured butter cream and ganache.
For the sponge we need( will make one half sheet pan30cmx 40 cms)
- ground almond -85 gms
- sugar- 55 gms
- flour-30 gm
- eggs whole-3 ea
- Vanilla essence- 1ml
- egg white – 2ea
- sugar- 30 gms
- melted butter-30 gm
- mix almond sugar, flour together with the whole eggs and vanilla
- beat the egg whites with the sugar till quite stiff and fold it into earlier mixture
- fold in melted butter and bake in pre heated oven at 180c for 7-9 minutes.
- take out and keep covered to prevent it from drying out.
Swiss butter cream
- egg whites-3
- sugar-150 gms
- soft butter- 300 gms
- coffee liqueur
whisk egg whites with sugar over a double boiler till light.Add in soft butter and some coffee liqueur.
- cream- 50 ml
- Dark chocolate- 100 gms
Melt chocolate along with cream and use for one layer of the cake.
- dark chocolate- 75 gms
- butter-45 gms
- sugar syrup or glucose- 20 ml
Melt butter chocolate and glucose in a pan and adjust consistency to be able to pour on top of the cake.
the rest is all about arranging it neatly together and piping “opera ” on it with some chocolate.
this delicious pudding is a version of a panacotta, but we gave it a southeast asian twist when we made it and topped it with basil seeds soaked in water. they go a bit funny, and then we used those for garnishing the dessert. the result funky looking and delicious.+vegetarian and gluten free too.
this recipe is designed to be made for a big bunch of people, because u have to use up the whole tin of mango, u could halve it but then use the mango elsewhere so it doesnt go waste
- mango puree/pulp tinned – 1 tin (850) gms
- milk500 ml
- cream 500ml
- sugar 100gm
- gelatine-14 gm soaked in 60 ml room temp water
- coconut cream- 400 ml
- basil seeds- 5 gms
- soak gelatine in water . soak basil seeds separately as well
- heat up mango pulp and reduce to half. take off the heat and add sugar to sweeten.
- heat up milk and cream. when boiled add in gelatine and mix well.
- start too cool down, add coconut cream, when almost room temperature, add in mango pulp mix.
- continue to cool down, mixing every few minutes.
- pour into glass bowlsor wine/ martini glasses, and refrigerate atleast 2 hours to allow it to set nicely.
- the basil seeds will have started to look like fish eggs by now, .spoon a little on top of the pudding before serving.
I first ate this at the marina restaurant in gisborne and then made my version of it.
Feijoas- 500 gms- you will need to scoop out the flesh from inside them.
first part- scoop out the pulp from the feijoas-for the people not from nz, its similar to a guava and the aroma s incredible. then cook these on low heat with the sugar till really nice and soft and pulpy.blend to a puree. it will have crunchy bits from the seeds in it. dont strain these out.these add to the nice crunchy texture in the middle of some creamy goodness
2 eggs whole
50 gms grain sugar+30-40 depending on how sweet your feijoa mix was.
10 gm gelatine soaked in abt 20 ml of water
250 ml cream.
whisk the eggs and 50 gm sugar over a double boiler until really frothy and thick and light. melt the gelatine in a microwave (10 seconds max and add it in)
taste your feijoa puree to see how sweet it is.should be fairly sweet but not cloyingly so.add into your egg mix.
whisk the cream and keep chilled.
when the feijoa , egg mix is cooled down , fold in the whipped cream, set in glass bowls or wine glasses or whatever you want it in really.
Dina, who is a childcare educator at Viraajs day care , is an ex-chef and had this recipe which wowed all the children, so this post is dedicated to her .
To cream together
- 125 gm butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 +3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Dry ingredients( sieve twice to ensure they get well mixed)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of ground cloves( here ive reduced the qty which dina had)
- 2 +1/4 cups plain flour
4 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
2 cups of grated zucchini
- 1/4 cups of dark chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 180 C/ 375 F.
- cream butter, sugaroil then add in eggs and vanilla till well blended
- Mix in milk and lemon juice.( the acid in the lemon juice helps the baking soda to act). +the baking soda when used with cocoa powder gives it a richer darker colour.
- Add in the dry ingredients to the creamed mix.
- Stir in the zucchini.pour into large cake tin or 2 loaf tins, and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Check that’s done by inserting a toothpick or wooden skewer in the center, it should come out clean.