Ingredients for marination
650 gms lamb (with bone)
50 gm yoghurt /dahi
1/2 tsp turmeric /haldi
2 tsp chili powder (check spice heat )
1 green chilli, slit into 2 pcs
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp chopped mint
1/2 tsp garam masala pwd , ( make your own it’s much better)
1 tsp.ginger garlic paste
50 gm fried onion
1 tsp salt
Wash and keep 300 gm long grain Basmati rice, remove water and keep for about 30 mins. You can do this before you start cooking lamb
In a small bowl, take 30 ml hot water, put in half gm saffron, 1 teaspoon shahi jeera/royal cumin and 1/2 tsp kewda water.
- In a clean pan, take 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp ghee
- Add 2 pieces cardamom, 1 small cinnamon stick (dalchini), 3-4 cloves(lavang), small piece star anise(chakriphool), small piece mace(javitri), 1 bay leaf(tejpatta), 1 big black cardamom (badi velchi).
- Add in 1 big onion (150 gm), finely chopped and fry till golden brown.
- Add 2 tsp ginger garlic paste and 2 finely chopped tomato(150 gm or half a small can of crushed tomatoes )
- Add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, and fry the onion tomato masala nicely, let oil leave the sides of the pan. Keep on a low flame till done.
- Next add marinated lamb and cook in the pressure cooker. don’t fully cook it, depends on your meat quality..pressure build up .
- Once your lamb is done, transfer it into a pan. let it dry little bit.
- . Boil water in another pot, add salt and cook Basmati Rice till 1/3 to half done.
- Drain the rice.
- . Deep fry potato cubes/pieces. I cut and cook in microwave for 2 mins before deep frying. Add the potato pieces to the lamb masala in the pan.
- Pour drained rice on top of the mutton.
- 14. Pour over shahi jeera and saffron mixture on top.
- 15. Add on the top 1 tbsp fresh chopped mint, 1tbsp fresh chopped coriander 1 tbsp fried onion and 1 tbsp ghee.
- 16. Put a tight lid on and then leave on dum for about 10-15 mins max. Keep a heavy flat pan below this pot to prevent it from burning.